Corona Brady – Mindfulness, Moment To Moment Awareness
Mindfulness is the practice of keeping moment-to-moment awareness of your thoughts, your body sensations and your surrounding environment through a lovingly gentle lens with curiosity and openness.
It’s the ability to be fully present in the moment where you are not focused on analysing your past or projecting fear into your future. So, when you practice mindfulness you are fully tuned into the present moment and everything that is arising in the here and now rather than reliving the past or imaging the future. It is essentially about being more aware, awake and alive in every moment of your life.
Meditation is the practice where you use a specific technique – such as mindfulness, or focusing the mind on a particular object (like a candle flame or a picture), a mantra, a thought, or activity – to train focus, attention and awareness, and to create a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state.
I think creating any form of new supportive habit in your life requires the expertise of a teacher – someone who has mastered this skill. It’s always going to be more challenging to learn something on your own. You may travel well for the first few days but then not long after you may find yourself slipping into old subconscious patterns when you are left to your own devices with little to no accountability.
In terms of exploring mindfulness and meditation I personally would recommend working with someone 1:1 or in a small intimate group where you will get a lot of focused attention.
There are numerous benefits of mindfulness and meditation and many studies have shown it’s incredibly effective for many conditions such as stress, anxiety, depression, pain management, insomnia and high blood pressure.
Meditation can greatly support you in experiencing thoughts and emotions of greater balance, peace, love and acceptance. Meditation also has been shown to improve focus and attention, increase creativity, decrease burnout and fatigue, improve your quality of sleep and improve diabetes control.
Some Examples Of Mindfulness Are:
- Pay attention and try to experience life through your five senses (touch, sound, sight, smell and taste).
- Find joy in the simple pleasures of the present moment.
- Love and accept yourself by treating yourself the same way you would treat a dear friend.
- Focus on your breath especially when there is fear, worry, anxiety or any negativity. Focus on the cool air as you draw it into the nostrils and the warm air that leaves your nostrils. Sitting for even just one minute of focused breathing can be incredibly supportive.
There are so many forms of meditation and there really is a style to suit everyone’s needs.
Some Examples Of Meditation Are:
- Kundalini meditation – this is a physically active form of meditation that blends eye focus, breath, movement and mantra. This is a wonderfully transformative style of medication that will support you to create a strong nervous system and balanced glandular system. Studies have shown it improves mental health by reducing anxiety and depression.
- Vedic meditation – this is a form of silent mantra meditation. It’s where you are given your own unique mantra to meditate on. You sit comfortably in a chair allowing your mind to settle down by a mantra that is repeated silently in the mind. Ongoing scientific research on meditation continues to show remarkable benefits in terms of both health and happiness.
- Mindfulness meditation – this is a form of meditation that can be done anywhere. You can do it while waiting in line at the grocery store. The practice involves you focusing on your breath and your surroundings including the sights, smells and sounds. You’re aware of your breath while also focusing on sensations in your body and noticing where you might be holding tension.
About The Author
Corona Brady is the CEO and Founder of the Energy For Life Academy. She’s a Holistic Life Coach & Mentor for Women, Mind Detox Therapist, Senior Kundalini Teacher, Podcast Host & Producer of the Energy For Life Podcast show and Speaker for more than 10 years.
She’s helped professional women from all over the world transform their burnout, stress & overwhelm to reclaiming their innate power and vitality. Corona’s mission is to help prevent burnout in 1 million lives by 2040 via her online masterclasses and programs, mentoring, retreats, and live events.